Join me as I discover and share new quilting techniques

Monday, January 18, 2010

CHARMED

Just some first thoughts this morning. Bless Dr. King for opening our eyes to injustice. May he rest in peace. I send a quiet and tearful prayer to all Haitians who are suffering through these terrible days, and most especially the Haitian children.

A few months ago, I visited a wonderful small quilt shop that has opened here in town. The owner has very limited space, but she has stocked her shelves with very nice quality quilting fabrics! I bought two Moda "charm packs" which are precut 5" squares of coordinated fabrics. I finally opened the packages, laid them all across the dining room table, and started matching the squares up in pairs.

Some of the pairs I have sewn into "half-square triangles".... with the help of that most magical gadget, the Fons and Porter quarter inch ruler.....just for the fun of what patterns I can think up. These charms may become a table runner.... not sure yet.


Aren't these cheerful? I love the retro cherry print.... maybe it should go in my kitchen as a wall hanging.


I fell in love with the color combinations in these prints. They are all happy hues!


Turquoise and red cherry print. I love this color combination.
When I took the quilting class in the fall, my teacher said these charm packs can just be sewn together for a beautiful small quilt. She also warned us that charm packs are addictive!! I believe her now....I love the fact that there is NO cutting, NO measuring, just sewing and designing. For those of us who work full time, this is the ultimate instant quilting gratification. Now that I see how easy they are to use, I'm sure I will be using them quite alot. I am still completely fascinated with needle-turned applique and all its creative implications. I think that charm squares, in muted background fabrics, will be a quick way to piece a four-patch or other patchwork design for an applique foundation. Happy Quilting from the Carousel Quilter!

No comments:

Post a Comment